Protein, Fiber, Antioxidants, Vitamins, Minerals– What more can you ask for?
Here is a step-by-step recipe that is as easy as pie (but much better for you!)
- 2 cups dried pinto beans (chick peas and black beans work with this recipe too)
- 2+ quarts water
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons sofrito (or add extra onion, garlic and fresh cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste- to thicken (diced tomato will work too!)
- salt to taste
1. Soak 2 cups of dried beans in water overnight (or at least 4 hours)
2. Drain beans and add to heavy pot (changing water is supposed to reduce gas)
3. Add about 2 quarts of water to soaked beans and bring to a boil
6. Saute with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8. Last but not least, add the sofrito and salt to taste.
My favorite meal: