INGREDIENTS: 1 onion, 1 leek, 2 tbs. olive oil, 1 lb. organic chicken (optional), 2 tbs sofrito, 1 medium turnip, 4 medium carrots, 1/2 celery root, 2-3 cloves garlic, 1-2 cups pearled barley, 1 head escarole, 12+ cups of water or stock
- On high heat, saute diced onions and leeks in heavy stock pot with olive oil.
- Add chicken and sofrito (you can substitute with adobo or granulated garlic for flavor).
- Reduce heat and cook until browned (10 minutes). Stir the ingredients occasionally.
- Add chopped turnips and carrots. Keep stirring so ingredients don’t stick.
- Add 8 cups of water.
- Add slices of celery root, two whole cloves of garlic and 4 more cups of water.
- On high heat, bring soup to a boil.
- Add pearled barley. (If you want a really thick soup use 2 cups barley).
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Check soup and that barley is fully cooked. Add up to two more cups of water, if needed.
- Add 1 tsp sea salt or adobo (not both– most adobo blends have a high salt content)
- Add chopped escarole and turn off heat. Greens will wilt in the hot soup– no need to overcook.