Enhance the individual flavors of the vegetables by three simple ingredients: olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic.
Make any traditional pasta salad healthier by using:
- a greater ratio of vegetables to pasta
- only quality ingredients (that are and preservative and additive free)
- and, of course, a whole grain or other pasta alternative.
Here is what you’ll need:
- 1 lb package pasta shells (cooked according to package instructions)
- 2-3 zucchini squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small- medium eggplant, cut into chunks
- 1- 2 cups Crimini (Baby Bella) mushrooms
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning blend (oregano, basil, rosemary, marjoram, sage…)
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
Marinate chopped vegetables in the balsamic vinegar and drizzle with olive oil. Mix in spices and crushed garlic and let sit for 20 min.
In the meantime, place red pepper directly on the gas burner and roast until blackened. Submerge cooked pepper in cool water and peel and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Cook pasta according to package instructions and rinse.
Grill vegetables until tender (do not overcook). I used a stovetop grill but any (even a cast iron skillet) will do. Mix the cooked pasta and vegetables together in a large bowl and add any additional ingredients listed below for extra flavor.
In addition to the yummy fresh vegetables you can add these other ingredients: