The original recipe is absolutely decadent and this variation is scrumptious… I substituted the sugar for brown rice syrup and some agave nectar. I also added grain sweetened chocolate chips. The result is a not too sweet, rich dark chocolate treat.
- 3/4 cup butter (palm oil )
- 2 cups brown rice syrup
- 1/4 agave nectar
- 3 eggs (or your choice of egg substitute)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk (oat or unsweetened rice milk)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked beets (+ 1/2 retained beet juice)
- 1 cup grain sweetened chocolate morsels
Heat the oven to 350ºF.
Cream the shortening and syrups and beat in the eggs until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla extract.
Add the beets and beet juice and mix for a couple minutes or until very smooth.
Pour into muffin pans with paper liners.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes about 30 cupcakes.