This is another easy recipe using sofrito. If you don’t have sofrito on hand add cilantro, extra onion and garlic to the recipe. This dish is great over rice or rice noodles.
Thai Gumbo Ingredients
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb of white fish (sole, orange roughy, flounder, tilapia)
- 2 lbs of shrimp, calamari, scallops (any combination of the three will do)
- 1 can of light coconut milk
- 3-4 heaping tablespoons sofrito
- 4 cups mixed vegetables
- Juice of 2 limes
- Grated rind of one lime
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or splash of hot sauce)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger root
In large pot sautee onion and garlic in olive oil.
Add white fish and sofrito . Let simmer and break apart. Next, add other seafood.
Let simmer for an additional 7-8 min until cooked through (fish opaque, shrimp pink)
Add mixed vegetables (bok choy, green beans, mushrooms, carrots, corn)
[I cheated with some frozen veggies. If you use fresh you might need to cook a little longer– carrots generally need more time and bok choy and mushrooms less…]
Add rest of coconut milk, lime juice, rind and spices.
Let simmer several more minutes on low heat just so gumbo absorbs all the flavors of the sofrito, coconut milk & lime.
Serve over cooked rice or Thai style rice noodles.