I have fond memories of my Titi Elba’s Puerto Rican style rice pudding. It is traditionally made with coconut milk, spices and loads of sugar. This version is sugar free and it is yuuuummmmy, I promise you. (It also happens to be vegan and gluten free.)
It is very easy to make and tastes great cold.
Ingredients for Arroz con Dulce (aka Arroz con Coco)
- 2 cups uncooked white rice (I like Jasmin or Basmati)
- 2 15 oz cans light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of almond milk or other non-dairy beverage
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tsp ground cloves (my Titi used to use whole)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger root (or fresh would work too)
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (or less) rice syrup or agave nectar
Soak rice in water for at least 2 hours.
In a medium sized caldero (cast iron or other pot for cooking rice), bring milk and spices to a boil.
Drain rice and add to milk. Stir and bring mixture to a boil again.
Reduce heat to low and let cook for 12-15 minutes (uncovered).
Add agave nectar and raisins and stir. Continue to cook for an additional 12-15 minutes.
Transfer rice to a glass pan and let cool completely.
Cut into squares and serve! (This is great refigerated too…)